Our recent visitors from over the border and the Covid-19 scare that accompanied them, reinforces the need to book in to Mass via Eventbrite or the QR code – For everyone’s safety there are NO EXCEPTIONS.
Some Cool Happenings!
CEO SLEEPOUT – Michael Stewart & Fr Josh
This winter, Fr Josh and Michael Stewart, our OLR principal, are raising money for people experiencing homelessness in our area. Click below to help us have the biggest impact we can by supporting the Vinnies CEO Sleepout today. Your donation will help the St Vincent de Paul Society provide housing, food and empowering support to the people who need it most.
The Ordination of Deacon William Iuliano
His Grace Archbishop Mark Coleridge Invites parishioners to the Ordination of Deacon William Iuliano At the Cathedral of St Stephen On Tuesday, June 29th, 2021 at 7pm. As a Parish Family we have great memories of William from the year he spent with us in 2019. Could you please advise the parish Office (5430 9390) if you would like to attend the ordination and, depending on the numbers, we might organize a bus or car pooling.
The Gift of Hospitality
Last weekend at some of our Masses, we celebrated the gift of hospitality with hot drinks, served food, and Zooper Doopers for the children. Pictured below in the new OLR servery are Mr Dan McShea (Unity College principal) and his daughter Molly preparing coffee for thirsty parishioners. The Young Adults also gathered after Mass for a caffeine injection and food. Our Young Adult Group (YAG) gathers fortnightly on Wednesday evenings. If you know any young adults who may be keen, please contact Kath Ball who coordinates the group (4th from the right), on 0418 187 914 or [email protected]
Come, Be My Disciple
Listen to Fr Josh Whitehead share with the men of all Caloundra and Hinterland Communities.
DATE: Thursday 24 June
TIME: 9:45am arrival for start at 10:00 – 11:30am
VENUE: Kawana Good Shepherd Ctr, Nanyima St (off Pt Cartwright Dr) directly opposite Centrelink/ Library/Community Hall (rear parking)
REGISTRATION: (free) For Covid19 & catering purposes, please email [email protected] with name, and phone number . Come early with a carload of fellow Parishioners. Fr Josh’s two sharing’s will be followed by questions and discussion. Morning Tea will be supplied for those that are able to stay on and enjoy fellowship.
Remembering Fr John Egan
This Sunday will mark the third anniversary of the death of our first Parish Priest, Fr John Egan. Fr John was appointed as foundation Parish Priest of Caloundra in 1972 and during the next decade extended the Caloundra church to accommodate the increasing numbers of parishioners, built Sacred Heart church in Maleny as well as the convent and presbytery at Caloundra. In 1980 he opened Our Lady of the Rosary school under the leadership of the Sisters of St Joseph. After leaving Caloundra in 1983 Fr Egan was Parish Priest of Wilston and later chaplain to the Royal Brisbane Hospital. After a short illness, he died on the 13th of June 2018 and is buried in the clergy section of Nudgee cemetery. May Fr Egan’s soul and the souls of all our deceased priests, religious and pioneering parishioners, Rest in Peace.
you have a bus licence? Are you available to help with transporting our young people during the Ignite Conference from 22nd September – 25th September? Unity College are offering their 25-seater bus to help transport our young people to the annual Ignite Conference on the Redcliffe Peninsula during the first week of September school holidays. The conference is a four-day mountain top Catholic experience for both young people and adults but we desperately need a bus driver. Please contact Fr Josh as soon as possible for more information if you, or someone you know, is interested in helping – many thanks. [email protected]
A Message From The Net Team
In our community, 18-29 year olds only represent 3% of our congregation. This can seem like a really disheartening statistic— especially when we realise that young people are the future of the church. In light of this, the parish is investing into the young adults, trying to build up a self sustaining community. We currently have a small but committed group of young adults who meet fortnightly. This community has a lot of potential to bring diversity and new life to our parish. The growth of this aspect of our community, however, depends on all of us. We need to be a community that looks beyond our wall and isn’t afraid to be invitational. We all know somebody who falls in the young adults age demographic. Whether it be a grandchild, niece, nephew or friend we can all be stewards of the future of our church by inviting these people to join our community. Our Young Adult Group meets every fortnight; if you are a young adult or know any who are interested feel free to talk to the NET team or Fr Josh about upcoming events within the young adult space. Please also continue to pray for this aspect of our community, that it will continue to flourish. God Bless.
Sister Joan Chittister’s Talk screened in Maleny
If you missed the online talk by Benedictine Sister Joan Chittister on 2nd May you now have the opportunity to see a repeat video in Maleny Church, Pat Daley Centre on either Tues 15th June or Thurs 17th June each at 1.30pm. Introduced by the Archbishop of Brisbane, Mark Coleridge, this world-wide speaker and modern prophet‘s inspiring talk is the message of the Gospels, the compassion of Jesus and about the role we can play in reshaping the future of Catholicism. Sr Joan’s message of empowerment and spiritual renewal has drawn an extraordinary and enthusiastic response from thousands in Australia since first given in May (3000 at the first Zoom event!) . Tea and coffee after the video. Please RSVP to [email protected] or 54786271.
Plenary Council Prayer Campaign
People across the country are invited to participate in the “Fan the Flame” prayer campaign leading up to the first assembly of the Fifth Plenary Council of Australia. The assembly starts on October 3. Find the resources at: www.plenarycouncil.catholic.org.au/fantheflame/
The Parish office is looking for an Accountant (retired or not) or an experienced Bookkeeper for approx 10 hours paid work per week.
Please phone Dale Rolls 0439780122 for more details.
Happy Feast Day!
This weekend our brothers and sisters at Maleny celebrate the Sacred Heart – their patronal feast.
Sunday 13th June (11th Sunday in Ordinary Time):
- Kid’s Club at OLR 9.30am Mass
- Illuminate Youth Group at Unity for grades 9-12 – 6-8pm
- Maleny – sausage sizzle after Mass to celebrate Feast of the Sacred Heart. Covid-safe regulations will apply. All welcome.
Monday 14th June:
- Adoration after the OLR Mass each Monday – All welcome
- The OLR craft group meet every Monday 9am-12noon in the Parish Centre. For more information please contact Helen McGlynn on 0409 050 722.
Tuesday 15th June:
- Women’s Prayer and Friendship Group every Tuesday in the Parish Centre from 9.30-10.45am. All welcome; any enquiries contact Vivienne 0400291979.
- The Caloundra Cards Group meets at the Parish Centre from 8:30 -12noon.
- Maleny Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament from 8.30am, Mass 9.00am, Rosary 9.30am after Mass.
- Maleny screening of Sr Joan Chittister’s video 1.30pm in the Pat Daley Centre. RSVP Judy Berlak 5478 6271. See separate notice for details.
- OLR St Vincent de Paul meet every Tuesday at 3pm in the Parish Centre. We make daily visits to those in need
Wednesday 16th June:
- Art class with Jude this week in the Parish Centre 10-12noon.
- Caloundra Catholic Community Social Justice Network (CCCSJN) meet in the Pastoral Care Boardroom 10.00 am – 11.30 am. Special topic is preparation for ATSI Sunday. Visitors and enquiries welcome but it is essential to contact Bob before the meeting to receive papers. [email protected]
- Fr Josh & Principal Michael Stewart’s Vinnies CEO sleep out. Donate Now
Thursday 17th June:
- Members of Caloundra’s Our Lady of Good Counsel Conference of the St. Vincent de Paul Society meet at the Parish Centre at 9:30am. New members welcome. Further enquiries contact Peter 54924402
- Maleny repeat screening of Sr Joan Chittister’s video 1.30pm in the Pat Daley Centre. RSVP Judy Berlak 5478 6271
Friday 18th June:
- Landsborough Mass at 9am followed by adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Confession available while adoration is on. Prayers for Priests in the Ron Hickey Centre with morning tea following Mass.
- Lighthouse Youth Group for grades 6-8 in the Parish Centre – 5:15-7:15pm
Sunday 20th June (12th Sunday in Ordinary Time):
- Kid’s Club at OLR 9.30am Mass